10 SEO Tactics to Boost Your Rankings and Attract More Customers in 2023
1. Maximise Your Sales by Understanding Your Customers with the Aura Strategy
When it comes to SEO, it's all about giving your users what they want. And how do you do that? By understanding their intent. Think about what your users are looking for when they come to your website. Are they looking for information? A product or service? Or are they just looking to be entertained? Once you understand their intent, you can create content that meets their needs and helps you rank higher in search results.
Web Design - SEO Optimised website design created with Webflow that increases revenue
SEO - unlock more SEO traffic. See real results.
Content Marketing - our team creates epic content that will get shared, get links, and attract traffic.
The best way to double your sales using The Aura Strategy
The "Aura strategy" is a powerful tool that gives you an inside look into your customers' thoughts and feelings. By using this strategy, you can gain a deep understanding of the challenges and struggles faced by your ideal customers. This knowledge can then be used to develop solutions that not only address their needs, but also help to increase your sales. To get started with the "Aura strategy", all you need are two to three key words or phrases related to your products. From there, it's time to start doing some detective work to uncover the insights you need to connect with your customers and drive success for your business.
To double sales, it is important to understand the needs and challenges of your prospects and to identify their most pressing problems or concerns. This can help you to tailor your sales message to address their specific needs and to provide solutions to the issues that are most important to them. In order to get to this level of intimacy with your prospects, you may need to engage in more in-depth conversations with them, ask probing questions, and listen carefully to their responses. You may also need to research their industry and their business to gain a better understanding of their challenges and needs. By taking the time to truly understand your prospects and their problems, you can better position your products or services as the solution they need, and increase your chances of making a sale.
It's important for a business to have a deep understanding of its prospects in order to effectively market to them and increase sales. By getting to know their needs, pain points, and motivations, a business can tailor its messaging and offerings to better meet the needs of its prospects. This can involve conducting market research, gathering customer feedback, and engaging in ongoing communication with prospects to stay attuned to their needs and preferences. By identifying and addressing their "hair-on-fire" problems and answering their pressing questions, a business can build trust and credibility with its prospects, ultimately leading to increased sales.
How to use Google to reach more customers
Are you ready to supercharge your search game? First and foremost, it is essential to leverage the power of targeted search phrases through the use of Google. When you type in a search phrase on Google, the search giant provides an aggregate view of related searches. This means you get a sneak peek at the exact questions your prospects are asking as they research your product or service. And here's the real treasure: a list of the specific words and phrases your customers are using to find out about your product. This is like hitting the jackpot! It'll give you valuable insight into your customer's thought processes and help you identify the real problems they're trying to solve. So, let's get those search engines working for us and use it to your advantage!
Answer The Public
Unfortunately, actually reading your customers' minds isn't an actual possibility (yet). But Answer the Public is the next best thing. It's like a crystal ball into your customer's minds and it's one of the best-kept secrets in the sales and marketing industry. Have you ever wondered what your audience is thinking about your product? With Answer the Public, you can type in your keyword or search phrase and the tool generates a diagram of related searches. Depending on your search term, you can get hundreds of results that give you direct insight into what your audience is thinking, the kinds of questions they're asking, and the hot-button issues they're struggling with. I used Answer the Public to research a new product launch, and it helped me uncover a list of common questions and concerns my potential customers had. It was like a goldmine of information!
Spying on your customers' conversations in industry forums is also a great way to get inside their heads. Have you ever noticed your customers struggling with the same problem over and over? If so, it's safe to assume it's a hot-button issue for them - and one that can seriously ramp up your sales if you're able to solve it. I was browsing an industry forum and noticed that a lot of people were complaining about the same problem with a competitor's product. I realised this was a huge opportunity for my business, so I developed a solution and ended up making a lot of sales. Become a secret agent of sales by infiltrating industry forums and gathering intel on your customers' hot-button issues.
If there are Facebook groups or pages around your niche, you'll want to visit each group and listen in on their conversations. Have you ever noticed that people are more likely to spill their guts on social media? Thankfully, there's no need to comb through these Facebook groups one by one. You can use a Facebook data mining tool (like Social Lead Freak) that will mine through all the comments and questions and deliver the insight you need. I was exploring a Facebook group in my niche and came across a thread of people talking about a major pain point they were experiencing. I realised this was a huge opportunity for my business, so I developed a solution and ended up making a lot of sales. Become a social media ninja by sneaking into Facebook groups and gathering intel on your customer's pain points.
- Conduct keyword research to understand what your users are searching for
- Analyse your website analytics to see what type of content is performing well
- Create a content calendar that outlines the topics and types of content you'll be creating
2. Utilise Local SEO:
More and more people are using their smartphones to search for local businesses, so it's important to optimise for local searches. This means including your city and state in your content and optimising your website for local search terms.
- Claim your Google My Business listing and make sure all of your information is up-to-date
- Include your location in your website title and header tags
- Use local keywords in your content, such as the name of your city or state
3. Invest in Quality Content:
Content is the bread and butter of any SEO strategy. It's what brings people to your website and keeps them coming back for more. So, it's important to invest in quality content that is informative, entertaining, and engaging.
There are several ways to invest in quality content to make it more effective and engaging for your audience. Here are a few strategies you can consider:
- Hire professional writers: Consider hiring experienced writers who have expertise in your industry or topic. These writers will have the skills and knowledge needed to create high-quality content that resonates with your audience. You can use websites like fiverr or freelancer to find freelance copywriters.
- Invest in editing and proofreading: It's important to ensure that your content is free of errors and is well-written. Consider hiring an editor or proofreader to review your content before it is published. You can now use AI tools such as copy.ai to help you to create and edit better content
- Use visuals and multimedia: Using visuals such as images, videos, and infographics can help make your content more engaging and easier to understand. Consider investing in professional design or video production services to create high-quality visuals for your content. Tools like motion array and canva are great tools to help you create engaging content as they have hundreds of templates and stock content to choose from.
- Research and fact-check: Make sure that your content is accurate and well-researched. Consider investing in resources such as subscriptions to industry publications or databases to help you stay up to date with the latest information and trends.
- Invest in SEO: Optimizing your content for search engines can help improve its visibility and reach. Consider investing in SEO services like semrush, ahrefs or training to help you create content that is optimised for search engines.
- Conduct keyword research to understand what your users are looking for
- Create a content calendar that outlines the topics and types of content you'll be creating
- Hire a professional writer or editor to help you create high-quality content
4. Optimise for Voice Search:
Voice search is on the rise, with more and more people using voice assistants like Siri and Alexa to search the web. So, it's important to optimise for voice search. This means using natural language and including long-tail keywords in your content.
Optimising your website and content for voice search can help you reach a wider audience and improve your search visibility. When people use voice assistants such as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and Apple Siri, they tend to use more natural, conversational language, so it's important to optimise your content for long-tail keywords and phrases that reflect this.
- Use long-tail keywords: People tend to use more natural, conversational language when searching by voice, so it's important to optimise your content for long-tail keywords, which are more specific and conversational phrases.
- Use structured data: One way to optimise your content for voice search is to use structured data, also known as schema markup. This is code that you can add to your website to help search engines understand the content on your pages. For example, if you have a recipe website, you can use schema markup to specify the ingredients, cooking time, and other relevant details for each recipe. This can help improve the chances that your content will be featured in voice search results.
- Use question words: Many voice searches are in the form of a question, so it's a good idea to include question words such as "who," "what," "when," "where," and "how" in your content.
- Use natural language: It's also important to use natural language and avoid jargon or technical terms that may be confusing when spoken aloud. Imagine you are speaking to a friend and try to write your content in a similar tone.
- Consider the user's context: Another consideration is the user's context. When creating content for voice search, think about the situation in which the user is likely to be searching. For example, someone searching for "best pizza near me" is probably looking for a restaurant to visit, while someone searching for "how to make pizza at home" is probably looking for a recipe. Tailoring your content to the user's context can help make it more relevant and useful.
- Optimise for mobile: Finally, Don't forget to optimise your website for mobile devices. Many voice searches are conducted on smartphones, so it's important to make sure your website is mobile-friendly and loads quickly on these devices.
By following these tips, you can create content that is more engaging and informative for voice search users, which can help improve your search visibility and reach a wider audience.
- Conduct keyword research to understand the types of questions and phrases users might be using to search for your business
- Include long-tail keywords in your content
- Use natural language in your content and on your website
5. Take Advantage of Structured Data:
Structured data is a way to help search engines understand your content more easily. By using schema markup, you can provide information about your business, products, and services in a way that is easy for search engines to understand.
Structured data markup is code that you can add to your website to help search engines understand the content on your pages. Here are some tips for using structured data markup to optimize your website for search engines:
- Use the correct vocabulary: Make sure to use the appropriate vocabulary when marking up your content. This can help search engines understand the meaning and context of your content more accurately.
- Test your markup: Use Google's Structured Data Testing Tool to check that your markup is correct and will be interpreted correctly by search engines.
- Use only relevant markup: Don't mark up content that is not visible to users or that is not relevant to the page content.
- Avoid conflicting markup: Make sure that the structured data on your pages does not conflict with any other markup on the page.
By following these tips, you can improve the chances that your content will be understood and indexed correctly by search engines, which can help improve your search visibility and reach a wider audience.
Here are some additional points that could be added to make the information on structured data markup more informative and actionable:
- The benefits of using structured data markup: Structured data markup can help search engines understand the content on your pages more accurately, which can improve the chances that your content will be displayed in search results and featured snippets. This can help drive more traffic to your website and improve the user experience for searchers.
- The types of content that can be marked up: Structured data markup can be used on a wide range of content types, including articles, recipes, events, products, and more. By marking up your content, you can make it easier for search engines to understand and classify it, which can improve its visibility in search results.
- How to implement structured data markup: There are several ways to implement structured data markup on your website, including manually adding the code to your pages or using a plugin or tool to help with the process. It's important to choose the method that works best for your needs and resources.
- Tips for maintaining and updating your structured data markup: Over time, the content on your website may change or you may want to add new types of structured data. It's important to regularly review and update your structured data markup to ensure it stays accurate and up-to-date.
By including these additional points, you can provide more detailed and actionable information on structured data markup, which can help website owners understand the benefits and process of implementing this technology.
- Use Google's Structured Data Markup Helper to add schema markup to your website
- Include information about your business, products, and services in your schema markup
- Test your schema markup using Google's Structured Data Testing Tool
6. Stay Up-to-Date with Algorithm Changes:
SEO is constantly evolving, with search engines constantly updating their algorithms. It's important to stay up-to-date with these changes so you can adjust your SEO strategy accordingly.
This page lists the latest ranking updates made to Google Search that are relevant to you as a business owner, check out this link of search ranking updates here.
There are a few places to find updates to Google's algorithm:
- Google's Webmaster Central Blog: This is the official source for information about updates to Google's search algorithms. Google often announces updates to its algorithm on this blog, so it's a good place to start.
- Search Engine Land: This website covers the latest news and updates in the search engine industry. They often report on updates to Google's algorithm and provide analysis and commentary on how these updates may affect website owners and SEO professionals.
- SEO forums and communities: There are a number of online forums and communities where SEO professionals discuss industry news and updates. These can be a good source of information about updates to Google's algorithm.
- Social media specifically Twitter: Google sometimes announces algorithm updates on its social media accounts, such as Twitter and there are also a few Twitter account to follow to help you improve your marketing knowledge and stay up to date.
- Rand Fishkin (@randfish): Rand Fishkin is the co-founder of Moz, a leading provider of SEO and online marketing tools. He is a well-respected thought leader in the SEO industry and frequently shares insights and updates on Twitter.
- Barry Schwartz (@rustybrick): Barry Schwartz is the editor of Search Engine Roundtable, a popular website covering news and analysis of the search engine industry. He is a reliable source of information about updates to Google's algorithm and other important developments in the world of SEO.
- AJ Ghergich (@ajghergich) SEO, SEM, Content Marketing, and Conversational AI Expert who shares guides, case studies, and AI-generated kittens.
- Danny Sullivan (@dannysullivan): Danny Sullivan is the founding editor of Search Engine Land, a website that covers news and analysis of the search engine industry. He is a well-respected expert in the field of SEO and frequently shares updates and insights on Twitter.
- Jennifer Slegg (@jenstar): Jennifer Slegg is an SEO and online marketing expert who writes about the latest developments in the industry on her blog, The SEM Post. She is a reliable source of information about updates to Google's algorithm and other important SEO topics.
- Neil Patel (@neilpatel): Neil Patel is a well-known digital marketer and entrepreneur. He frequently shares insights and updates about SEO and other digital marketing topics on his Twitter account.
These are just a few examples, and there are many other talented SEO experts and marketers on Twitter who are worth following. It's always a good idea to follow a diverse group of people to get a well-rounded perspective on the industry.
It's important to note that Google does not always announce updates to its algorithm, and many updates go unnoticed. It's also worth keeping in mind that Google's algorithm is constantly evolving, so it's important to stay up-to-date with best practices for SEO and to be adaptable to change.
- Subscribe to industry newsletters and follow SEO experts on social media
- Attend SEO conferences and workshops to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques
- Regularly analyse your website analytics to see how your SEO strategy is performing
7. Use Youtube to your advantage:
There are several reasons why YouTube can be a great platform for small businesses to get more customers:
- YouTube is a highly visual platform, which makes it ideal for showcasing products and services in a way that is engaging and easily understandable.
- YouTube has a large and diverse audience, with users from all walks of life and from all around the world. This means that there is a good chance that your target customer base is already on the platform.
- YouTube is a cost-effective way to reach a large audience. While it does take time and effort to create and promote videos, the cost of producing a video is typically much lower than the cost of other forms of advertising, such as television or print ads.
- YouTube allows you to target specific audiences through the use of keywords, tags, and other targeting options. This can help you reach the right people at the right time, increasing the chances of turning viewers into customers.
- YouTube is a great platform for building trust and credibility. By creating informative, educational, or entertaining videos, you can establish yourself as an authority in your field and build trust with potential customers.
Overall, YouTube can be a powerful tool for small businesses looking to reach and engage with potential customers. By creating and promoting high-quality videos, small businesses can effectively showcase their products or services and build a loyal customer base.
Use Analytics to Increase Watch Time
Watch time is important on YouTube because it is one of the factors that the platform uses to determine the relevance and quality of a video. Videos with high watch times are generally considered to be more engaging and of higher quality, which can lead to increased visibility and a larger audience.
There are a few reasons why watch time is important:
- YouTube algorithms prioritise videos with high watch times: YouTube's algorithms are designed to surface the most relevant and high-quality content to users. As a result, videos with high watch times are more likely to be recommended to users, which can lead to increased visibility and more views.
- High watch time can lead to monetisation: For creators who are monetising their videos through ads, watch time is an important factor in determining how much they can earn. Videos with high watch times are more likely to be eligible for monetisation, and they may also earn a higher CPM (cost per thousand views).
- High watch time can lead to increased subscriber growth: Videos with high watch times are often more successful at retaining and engaging viewers, which can lead to increased subscriber growth. When viewers watch a video all the way through, they are more likely to subscribe to the channel and continue watching more of the creator's content.
Overall, watch time is an important metric on YouTube because it is a key indicator of the quality and relevance of a video. By creating engaging content that keeps viewers watching for longer periods of time, creators can increase their visibility and reach on the platform.
Youtube Thumbnails are Important for Click Through Rate
Thumbnails are important on YouTube because they are the main visual element that users see when browsing for videos. Thumbnails are small images that represent a video and are displayed on the platform along with the video's title and other metadata.
There are a few reasons why thumbnails are important:
- Thumbnails help users find relevant videos: When users are searching for videos on YouTube, they often rely on the thumbnail to determine whether the video is relevant to their interests. A good thumbnail should clearly represent the content of the video and help users understand what they can expect to see.
- Thumbnails can increase clicks and views: A well-designed thumbnail can catch the eye of users and encourage them to click on the video. This can lead to increased views, which can in turn lead to more subscribers and engagement.
- Thumbnails are a key part of branding: Thumbnails are an important part of a channel's visual identity and can help users recognise a channel's content. By consistently using a certain style or theme in their thumbnails, creators can establish a strong brand and make their videos more easily recognisable.
- Here are a few channels you can see with great thumbnails you can see for inspiration.
Overall, thumbnails are an important aspect of YouTube marketing because they are the main visual element that users see when browsing for videos. By creating eye-catching and relevant thumbnails, creators can increase the visibility and engagement of their videos on the platform.
Choose Topics that Are Engaging and Convert
There are a few factors to consider when picking the best topics for your YouTube videos:
- Know your audience: It's important to understand who your target audience is and what they are interested in. This will help you choose topics that are relevant and engaging to them.
- Consider your niche: Think about the topics that are unique to your niche or area of expertise. These are the topics that you can provide the most value on, and that will set you apart from other creators.
- Keep it current: Staying up-to-date with the latest trends and news in your industry can help you come up with fresh and relevant topics for your videos.
- Look for gaps in the market: Identify topics that are not being covered by other creators in your niche and consider creating content on those topics. This can help you stand out and attract a new audience.
- Use keyword research and follow the Aura Strategy: Use tools like the YouTube Keyword Tool, SEM Rush, OpenAI Chat GPT, Copy.AI, Quora, Facebook Groups, Google's Keyword Planner and more to find out what people are searching for on the platform. This can give you ideas for topics that are in demand and that have the potential to perform well.
By following these tips, you can identify the best topics for your YouTube videos and create content that resonates with your target audience.
Here are some actionable steps you can take to create YouTube videos that have a high click-through rate for small businesses:
- Use eye-catching thumbnails: Thumbnails are the main visual element that users see when browsing for videos, so it's important to create eye-catching and relevant thumbnails to grab their attention.
- Optimise your titles: Use descriptive and attention-grabbing titles that clearly communicate the value of your video. Consider including keywords in your titles to help your videos rank higher in search results.
- Use tags and descriptions effectively: Use tags and descriptions to help YouTube understand the content of your video and surface it to relevant users. Include relevant keywords in your tags and descriptions to improve your visibility.
- Promote your videos: In addition to promoting your videos on your own social media channels and website, consider using paid promotion options like YouTube's AdWords for Video to reach a larger audience.
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments and engage with your viewers by asking for their opinions and feedback. This can help build a community around your brand and encourage more people to watch your videos.
By following these steps, you can create YouTube videos that are more likely to be clicked on and watched by potential customers, which can help you reach and engage with your target audience.
8. Optimise for mobile:
More and more people are using their smartphones to search the web, so it's important to ensure that your website is mobile-friendly. This means having a responsive design that adjusts to the size of the screen it's being viewed on and having fast loading times.
Here are some tips for optimising your website for mobile in 2023:
- Make sure your website is responsive: A responsive website adjusts to the size and shape of the device it is being viewed on, ensuring that it looks and functions correctly on all devices. This is important because more and more users are accessing the internet from their smartphones, and a responsive website will provide a better user experience for these users.
- Use a mobile-first design approach: A mobile-first design approach prioritises the needs of mobile users and ensures that the mobile version of your website is the primary focus of your design process. This can help you create a better user experience for mobile users.
- Optimise your images: Large images can take a long time to load on mobile devices, which can lead to a poor user experience. Optimise your images by reducing their file size and using appropriate image formats to ensure that they load quickly on mobile devices.
- Use a content delivery network (CDN): A CDN is a network of servers that delivers content to users based on their location. Using a CDN can help speed up the loading time of your website on mobile devices by serving content from a server that is closer to the user.
- Make sure your website is secure: In 2023, it's more important than ever to make sure your website is secure. Use SSL certificates to encrypt your website and protect user data from being intercepted.
By following these tips, you can optimise your website for mobile and provide a better user experience for mobile users.
- Use Google's Mobile-Friendly Test to see if your website is optimised for mobile
- Make sure that your website has a responsive design that adjusts to the size of the screen it's being viewed on
- Use a tool like PageSpeed Insights to optimise your website's loading times
9. Utilise long-tail keywords:
Long-tail keywords are more specific, longer phrases that are less competitive and can help you to target a specific audience. By including long-tail keywords in your content, you can attract a more qualified audience and increase your chances of ranking in search results.
There are a few ways you can find long-tail keywords:
- Use a keyword research tool: There are many online tools that can help you identify long-tail keywords, such as Google's Keyword Planner, SEMrush, and Ahrefs. These tools allow you to enter a seed keyword and generate a list of related long-tail keywords based on search volume and competition.
- Look at your website analytics: Your website analytics can provide insight into the long-tail keywords that are already driving traffic to your website. Look at the keywords that are driving the most organic traffic and consider incorporating these into your content.
- Monitor your competitors: Look at your competitors' websites and see which long-tail keywords they are using. This can give you ideas for your own long-tail keywords and help you identify any gaps in your keyword strategy.
- Use a customer feedback tool: A customer feedback tool, such as UserTesting or Customer.io, can help you understand how your customers are finding and interacting with your website. This can give you insight into the long-tail keywords they are using to find your business.
By using these techniques, you can effectively find long-tail keywords that are relevant to your products or services and have a high search volume.
Here are a few additional tips to make your use of long-tail keywords more engaging:
- Use long-tail keywords naturally: Avoid forcing long-tail keywords into your content in an unnatural way. Instead, use them in a way that flows naturally with the rest of your content.
- Create unique and compelling content: In addition to using long-tail keywords, it's important to create high-quality, unique content that is valuable to your audience. This will help keep them engaged and encourage them to return to your website.
- Use long-tail keywords in your headlines and subheadings: Headlines and subheadings are important for attracting readers and helping them understand the main points of your content. Using long-tail keywords in these areas can help make your content more engaging and relevant.
- Include images and videos: Adding images and videos to your content can make it more engaging and visually appealing. Use relevant long-tail keywords in the file names and alt tags of these media to optimise them for search engines.
By following these tips, you can effectively use long-tail keywords to create engaging content that attracts and retains customers.
- Conduct keyword research to identify long-tail keywords that are relevant to your business
- Include long-tail keywords in your content, such as blog posts and product descriptions
- Use long-tail keywords in your website's title and header tags
10. Use internal linking:
Internal linking is the process of linking to other pages on your website. This not only helps users navigate your site, but it can also help to boost your SEO. Use internal linking to create a hierarchy of content on your site and to highlight important pages.
Here are a few additional tips to make your use of internal linking more informative and actionable:
- Use internal linking to help users navigate your website: Internal linking helps users find related content on your website and can improve the overall user experience. Use internal linking to guide users to relevant pages and help them find what they are looking for.
- Use internal linking to improve SEO: In addition to helping users navigate your website, internal linking can also improve your SEO. By linking to relevant pages on your website, you can pass link equity to those pages and help them rank higher in search results.
- Use a mix of deep and shallow links: Deep links refer to links that go to specific pages or sections within a website, while shallow links refer to links that go to the homepage or other high-level pages. Use a mix of both deep and shallow links to create a natural-looking internal linking structure.
- Monitor and update your internal links regularly: It's important to regularly review and update your internal links to ensure that they are still relevant and accurate. Use tools like Google Search Console to track the performance of your internal links and identify any issues.
By following these tips, you can effectively use internal linking to improve the user experience and SEO of your website.
- Identify the most important pages on your website and create a hierarchy of content
- Use internal linking to link to these pages from other pages on your website
- Make sure to use descriptive anchor text when linking to other pages on your site
By following these tips, you’ll be able to stay ahead of the competition and ensure that your small business is visible online in 2023. With a solid SEO strategy, you’ll be able to reach new customers, increase your sales, and grow your business.
If your looking to grow your website traffic and get more customers into your business click here and book a call with us